Fields of expertise
In the construction sector, rising technical standards and legal requirements lead to a clear increase in the services of architects at the planning and execution levels. Both contractors and clients find themselves exposed to an increased number of interface risks that endanger the successful course of projects. This potential for conflict can be defused: forward-looking legal advice and contract drafting create a safe project basis for all parties.
We offer you advice in all matters concerning agreements with architects, engineers or project managers. You can rely on the construction-related expertise and legal foresight of our experts in architectural law in the negotiation, drafting and reviewing of contracts. We support typical problems such as remuneration and liability issues from the draft agreement to supplementary agreements in a solution-oriented manner. In doing so, we always follow the practical and economic requirements of construction work; we prefer timely avoidance of conflicts and the extrajudicial settlement of conflicts of interest wherever possible. Our firm is authorised for the mediation of construction matters and also represents you in arbitration proceedings in a legal capacity.
Our key services in architectural law
- Advice on contractual issues, especially on:
- the formation and termination of the contract,
- the potential invalidity of the contract, as well as the reviewing of violations against legal provisions
- the scope of services and precise details of the contract
- replacement orders
- Advice on remuneration matters, especially in relation to:
- remuneration bands and remuneration rates
- the service phases
- the arrangement of a flat fee or hourly fee
- the minimum and maximum rates of the HOAI
- the chargeable costs of a construction project
- the possible arrangement of a performance fee
- all special issues concerning remuneration, especially in the case of planning changes or a rejected planning application
- the final invoice and maturity of the claim
- any action for the recovery of fees submitted by the architect
- Advice on liability issues, including the judicial and extrajudicial representation of architects, engineers, project managers and their liability insurers
Hardly any legal field is currently subjected to as many changes as banking law. The speed of the digital revolution hasn't stopped at the financial system. New transaction technologies and stricter regulations keep financial service providers on their toes. Consumers are faced with increasingly complex financial issues and products. And the legal challenges grow especially for businesses active on the capital market.
We advise banks, savings banks, independent investment advisors and investment brokers on all matters concerning banking law, be these regulatory, organisational or operational issues. As a private individual, we support you in the processing and guarantee of loans, or by reviewing claims for damages in the case of illicit investment advice. Our solicitors in banking and capital market law assist you with effective solutions; from extrajudicial negotiation up to representation in lawsuits.
Our key services in banking and capital market law
- Matters of collateral for loans (land charges, mortgages, guarantees, etc.)
- Settlement of payments (cheque transactions, EC cards, Internet banking, credit cards, credit transfers, etc.)
- Types of loans and loan agreements
- General terms and conditions of banks
- Problems with investment advice, including obligations to provide clarification and information
- Settlement of failed investments
Urban development planning notably includes formal and content-related requirements in the process of drawing up the plans, the procedure, the possibilities for participation and legal protection, as well as the implementation and safeguarding of the planning. Sectoral planning law covers the planning of spatially-relevant projects such as roads and motorways.
Planning law particularly involves conflicts concerning pollution control laws in urban development planning (such as noise associated with sports, leisure activities, industry and traffic), environmental considerations (especially nature conservation issues) in specialist planning (such as in planning permission for roads or airports), as well as the relationship between construction planning and trade laws (such as the licensing law legitimacy of entertainment facilities).
We advise private individuals, businesses and communities on the entire planning process.
Construction is becoming increasing complicated. Stricter regulations, increasing usage requirements and a multitude of technical possibilities make construction projects more extensive and unmanageable. It is therefore all the more important to obtain timely competent legal counsel. This is obtained from specialised specialist lawyers, who are familiar with all areas of construction and adeptly support their clients from the beginning to the end of a project.
Construction law and all other legal fields that are important in the realisation of construction projects have for decades counted among the core advisory services of our firm. Issues related to construction law often hover on the boundary between private and public law, which is why you will find specialists in both legal fields with us.
We reliably assist you in all project phases, from development, planning and implementation up to marketing of the real estate. With comprehensive legal and technical expertise, we assert your claims and rebut unfounded claims by third parties. Our experts in construction law support you not only in individual matters - such as in approval, procurement and contractual matters - but also develop comprehensive strategies on request for your legal and business success.
Our key services in construction law
- Assistance in development plan procedures and in the acquisition of planning permission
- Drafting and reviewing of construction and architect contracts
- Legal advice throughout construction
- Assessment or enforcement of warranty claims and claims for the correction of faults
- Defence or enforcement of price reduction claims and claims for damages
- Settlement of compensation disputes including amendments
- Guiding of independent proceedings for taking of evidence as well as all other legal disputes
Communities collect contributions to property owners to finance the development of a property and thus the provision of a functioning infrastructure. We offer advice in this context to communities on the collection of development contributions.
We also act on behalf of property owners in the form of:
- reviewing the legality of demands for contributions in relation to the existence of a claim for payment as well as the amount of the claim.
- Representation in legal disputes
The legal field of intellectual property rights covers all the legal norms designed to protect commercial and intellectual achievements. Trademarks grant the holder exclusive rights, which enables him or her to solely benefit from the fruits of his or her intellectual creation.
Our core advisory services in intellectual property rights
- Copyright law
- Trademark law
- Competition law
We are your competent point of contact for the drafting of contracts relating to the transfer of property - be this by way of sale or due to endowment or hereditary succession.
We take care of the necessary property encumbrances such as land charges, mortgages, usufruct orders or housing law orders. Even public access rights and rights of way, pipeline rights and all further safeguards than can be entered into the land register of the property concerned are prepared by our firm and notarised or authenticated if necessary. In the case of disputes arising from rights to property, we are committed to asserting your claims.
Our key services in land law
- Real estate contracts of sale
- Transfers of property
- Power of sale
Pollution control law is one of the core legal fields of environmental protection. Pollution includes actions on people, animals and plants, soil, water, the earth's atmosphere, and culture, as well as other airborne contaminants that act on material goods, noise, vibrations, light, heat, radiation and similar environmental impacts.
Pollution control law has the objective of reducing potential harmful influences on humans and their environment through hazard control and preventive measures.
Our key services in pollution control law
- Support in the context of pollution control law-related approval procedures
- Representation in regulatory and judicial proceedings
- Advice and representation for pollution control law-related effects on third parties such as neighbours
- Representation of neighbours in defence against pollution control law-related effects, such as noise, smell, exhaust fumes, radiation, etc.
Our firm is specialised in all matters concerning real estate that may arise. Regardless of the need for legal counsel in construction, acquisition, sale, renting or leasing of real estate, or for legal counsel in connection with brokerage activity in the area of real estate management, we give you comprehensive advice. Due to the possibility of acting in a legal representative or notarial capacity for you, we can help you in the area of real estate law in every respect. Our firm therefore supports and executes the division of property in condominiums or divisions resulting from new boundary surveys.
Our firm also assists you in matters of foreclosure proceedings and enforcement in real estate, in the commissioning of land charges and mortgages, as well as in all matters of safeguards of rights to real estate.
Insolvency law involves substantive and procedural legal territory in regard to the rights of creditors in the case of an inability to pay on the part of a debtor.
We support insolvency applications and restructuring talks with banks, advise and represent in cases of appeals against insolvency, bring lodgements of claims to the table, and pursue the enforcement of claims for segregation and preferential payment. We also represent managing directors and shareholders against claims by creditors and/or the insolvency administrator, but also represent creditors in such cases.
We act on behalf of our clients in all areas of e-commerce and Internet law.
We offer you advice on trademark, competition and copyright law-related matters. We also offer advice on the set-up of online shops, starting with the creation and design of the website and covering advice on the conclusion of contracts over the Internet up to any liability issues that may arise.
Our key services in Internet law
- Drawing up of the data privacy statement and imprint
- Settlement of contracts in electronic commerce
- Obligations to provide information on the part of online shop operators
- Set-up and ordering process of online shops
- General terms and conditions for the distribution of goods over the Internet and all matters associated with this
A cartel is an arrangement or concerted practice between businesses with the goal or the effect of restricting, distorting or preventing competition. A functioning economy is dependent on the guarantee of free competition and the prevention of abuse of market power.
Our core advisory services in antitrust law
- Legitimacy of selective distribution systems
- Existence of an obligation to enter into a contract under the so-called essential facilities doctrine
The name or symbol—based on a creative process—of a product or business distinguishes this from others. The more competitors on the market that offer similar products or goods, the more important it is for a business to be able to clearly differentiate their company name or product.
Our activity in the area of trademark law extends to trademark law-related application procedures and extrajudicial and judicial enforcement or defence of your trademark law-related claims. We also offer you advice in matters of further trademark rights, such as naming and company symbol rights.
Our key services in trademark law
- Advice and representation in all trademark law-related application, appeal and registration procedures, especially before the German Patent and Trade Mark Office
- Extrajudicial and judicial enforcement or defence of injunctions and claims for information and damages
Environmental law covers several cross-sectional areas of public law. This particularly includes pollution control law, water law, recycling and waste law, nature conservation law and soil protection law.
Pollution control law primarily concerns protection against air and noise pollution in installations subject to licensing and other structures, especially traffic routes. In water law, the key issues are measures for water protection and the arrangement of water law-related uses. Recycling and waste law is defined by complex prevention, recovery and disposal. Soil protection law, which serves to safeguard and restore soil functions, intersects with many other areas of law such as water law (contamination of bodies of water), waste law (sites of toxic waste deposits), and nature conservation law (landscape conservation, agricultural land use).
We offer advice to private individuals, businesses and communities both on pre-planned uses and in the case of judicial enforcement.
The rapid increase in Internet commerce has heightened the importance of copyright law for private individuals. We offer you advice on the traditional areas of copyright law, such as film, music and publishing.
Our core advisory service lies in the area of law against unfair competition (German UWG). Numerous consumers have already made the "acquaintance" of the UWG under the key word "warning".
We not only point out the legal options you have to protect yourself against unjustified warnings, but also explain to you when you can personally enforce an injunction.
We represent you especially in the enforcement and defence of injunctions and claims for information and damages, both judicially and extrajudicially.
Administrative law regulates the legal relationships of the state with its citizens.
Our firm advises private individuals, businesses and communities on matters of defence and enforcement of administrative acts, ordinances and bylaws. We represent our clients in proceedings before the administrative courts and compulsorily enforce administrative decisions.
Our key services in administrative law
- Building permit proceedings
- Planning approval proceedings
- Demolition orders
- Urban planning legislation
- Licensing law
- Pollution control law
- Waste law (recycling and refuse law)
- Water law
Water law regulations are found both in the Federal Water Act and in the state water laws.
Due to the proximity of our firm to Lake Constance, we have extensive expertise concerning the Lake Constance region and represent you both extrajudicially and before the courts.
Our key services in water law
- Use of water bodies
- Issues of ownership of bodies of water and waterside properties
- Management of water bodies
Work and services contract law has been a key area of specialisation of our firm for many years.
We offer you advice in all areas of private and public construction law. Alongside advisory services, we also handle proceedings for taking of evidence as well as all other legal disputes.
Our key services in work and services contract law
- Drafting and reviewing of construction and architect contracts
- Assessment or enforcement of warranty claims and claims for the correction of faults
- Defence or enforcement of claims for abatement and damages
- Settlement of compensation disputes
The concept of business law is not uniformly defined. It nonetheless covers the entirety of standards that restrict and guide self-employment in industry, commerce, craft trades, agriculture, transport and liberal professions.
We advise and represent you both extrajudicially and in court proceedings in all matters considered here. We especially attempt to develop solutions prior to litigation, so that disputes do not arise. If these have nonetheless already arisen, we also represent you before the authorities to achieve the best possible outcome for you.
Commercial administrative law primarily covers the duties and issues of national and European economic administration (such as hazard control, promotion of economic development, anti-trust monitoring, economic governance), their organisation (European authorities, state administration and self-governance), instruments of action (requirements and prohibitions, subsidies, cooperative administrative action, award of public contracts, economic activity by public authorities, especially communities), and legal issues concerning privatisation.
Notable among these are trade law (such as handicraft law and licensing law), as well as the right to infrastructure-related service provision and its regulation (energy, telecommunication, transport, supply), with reference to environmental and planning law, pollution control law and infrastructure planning.
We offer advice to private individuals, businesses and communities on this broad legal field.
Civil law governs the legal relationships between private individuals and businesses. Regulations on civil law are notably found in the German Civil Code (BGB). Various special regulations also exist, such as in the German Commercial Code.
We enforce your claims out of court and represent you in judicial proceedings, to obtain a so-called title (such as a ruling). In cases of foreclosure, we help you to successfully enforce legally established claims.
Our key services in civil law
- Right to impose contractual and legal obligations, especially general contract law, sales law and work and services contract law
- Right to claim for compensation in rights violations arising from unlawful action (in the case of damage by third parties)
- Right to the return of assets (unjustified enrichment, claims for surrender of ownership, etc.)
- Claims for the removal or omission of damages (such as in the case of defamation or neighbour law)
- Studied law in Konstanz and Cork/Ireland (Diploma in Common Law)
- State Examination in Law, 2007 in Konstanz
- Research associate in the Faculty of Law at the University of Konstanz, career as a proof-reading assistant, began his legal internship in 2010 with Konstanz District Court
- Promotion to Dr. jur., 2011 with a dissertation on public construction law (published with Duncker & Humblot, Berlin)
- Second State Examination in Law, 2012 in Konstanz
- Lawyer in Ravensburg since May 2012
- Specialist lawyer in construction and architectural law since 2016
- Specialist lawyer in administrative law since 2016
Offices and memberships
- Member of the Working Group on Administrative Law of the German Bar Association, Baden-Württemberg National Group
- Member of the Working Group on Construction and Architectural